"The straight way's short, but the long way's pretty..."

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Kindergarten in Thailand

Now that we have been here for a while, I have been informed that I should post something about my KG classroom since it is different from back home. This is one of those cases of, when you see it every day it becomes normal so I apologize for not sending anything earlier.

This is a picture of my class at work (colouring pictures of the three bears). As you can see, no tables or chairs in the kindergarten classroom. I spend a lot of time sitting on the floor, and then a lot of time washing my clothes because they always end up covered in plasticine, dust or crayon that I have sat in!
Here is a picture of one of my students showing me his work. I hear "tea-SHA!" all day long! They love to show you everything that they do. I think this is a universal kindergarten thing though, not just in Thailand. If you look at the very bottom of the picture you may notice that I (and my students) are not wearing any shoes. Wearing shoes in the classroom is considered disrespectful so we all go barefoot. I have taken to wearing socks (like the kids) after a couple days of tracking black footprints home!
In this picture I am helping one of the little ones write his nickname in English. I am proud to say that most of them can write their names and after this week, nearly all of them can write their numbers up to 10! :)
I like this picture because it shows just how tiny some of these kids are! This is my smallest student (you may recognize baby Jesus from the Christmas play!) having to crane his neck up to talk to me! :)

1 comment:

  1. Jesus! This is lovely - what a great record to have of your teaching.

    ReplyDelete